I'd been looking for a neck pillow for a while, and when I saw this one I knew I wanted it! I also want to make it for my mom, who travels on business frequently. The pattern for this project is by Red Heart.
I decided early on that I wanted to make a tiger, so I bought some Red Heart Team Spirit yarn. I couldn't decide if the Gold/Black or the Orange/Black looked better though, so I got both. After finishing about 20 rows in gold, I realized I was supposed to be using two strands of yarn at once. I couldn't decide if I wanted to use the black and orange yarn I have, or which combination of the four, so I decided I'd get all the colors and use both Team Spirit colors. I started over, but didn't realize until later that I probably shouldn't have used two strands, because the suggested yarn is DK weight, and not worsted weight. It turned out waaay larger than it should have, so I changed tactics to alternating Red Heart Super Saver Pumpkin and Caron One Pound Black (also to make sure I had enough yarn; I was running out of the Team Spirits after only 20 rows!). Now it's more stripey, while before it was kinda striped but more splotchy due to all the colors mixing. It was very Halloween-y.
I wish I could get this project done sooner; it seemed like a quick one, but with all my mistakes I hope I ever DO finish it!