Saturday, August 29, 2015
I had a variety of partial skeins to use for this, but in the end I decided I wanted to make it Ingress themed, so I went with a bunch of greens, blues, and whites. Luckily I only chose to make a few color bands, because sewing in all the ends was really frustrating as it was. I later started one where I had a color change every row... let's just say I abandoned that one right quick. The border is just single crochet, and the entire blanket is about 29 inches square.
Be inspired by other projects made with this pattern on Ravelry:
Here's a pic before adding the border with bonus cat paw.
Wednesday, August 5, 2015
I started out with a Caron One Pound test, to see whether I could soften up the hats by washing (since I know that the cheaper yarns aren't exactly soft enough for sensitive baby heads right off the skein). Luckily after a wash and two dry cycles, it came out incredibly soft and plush. I went ahead and made some more hats from Craftsmart and Red Heart Super Saver to test as well. The Red Heart got softer, but the Craftsmart didn't. A few of the hats are miscellaneous yarns I got on the clearance rack at Michaels that were incredibly soft and plush.
Overall I made something like 28 hats! Phew!
Here are the patterns I used, mostly preemie and newborn but I also made a few of the larger ones.
Add this project on Ravelry, or get inspiration from over 100 projects made with this pattern:
R1: Chain 15.
R2: sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in each of next 2 ch, 2dc in each of next 3 ch, 2tc in each of next 2ch, 2dc in each of next 3 ch, hdc in each of next 2 ch, slst in last chain. ch1, turn
R3: sl st in each of first 5 st, sc in each of next 5 st, hdc in each of next 2st, sc in each of next 5 st, slst in last 5 st.
Finish off and weave in ends.
The scarf pattern was super simple, just chain 201 and sc across, repeating for the number of rows desired. The finished scarf measures 62"by 4.25".
I made up my own pattern for the moon applique, found here!
Saturday, January 10, 2015
I made this afghan for my friend's wedding. She got married back in July, but it took me a few months to pick a pattern and the yarn I wanted. I finally got some nice yarn on Black Friday, so I started soon after that. I finally finished! It was a simple pattern, and was relatively quick compared to my previous blanket.
The pattern I picked was the Easy Ripple Pattern by SusanB. I used 9 total skeins of Red Heart With Love yarn; 3 skeins each of White, Peacock, and Bluebell. In the end, the blanket measured 56" by 64", and used every last bit of the white, slightly less than 3 skeins each of the blues. I was really worried about running out of white to make the last few rows, and at first wanted to make a border, but since I had just enough white, I decided it looked good enough without a border.
The color pattern I decided to use was 4 rows per light blue block and 8 rows each for the dark blue and white blocks. I wanted to make the blanket simple and not too busy by alternating colors more often. The plus side is that there were fewer threads to weave in at the end!
This picture doesn't capture the colors quite right, but the picture above is more true-to-color.
Right from the beginning I loved how the blanket looked and felt, and I hope my friend enjoys it as much as I do!
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
This week is the annual white elephant gift exchange in my department at UCLA. I wasn't sure what to make, but eventually decided on a Bruin (brown bear) which is the mascot of UCLA. I asked the /r/crochet community and they pointed me to the perfect pattern, Winston the Bear, which is free on Ravelry. I made it a tiny scarf from some dark blue and gold yarns to give it some character, otherwise I feared it might not be recognizable as the school mascot specifically.
The whole thing took me only a few nights of working on and off and procrastinating. Every time I see an adorable amigurumi I want to make it, but once I get to doing anything but the body, I start to despise it and usually want to quit working on it. Overall this guy wasn't too traumatizing, but I do hate sewing on those ears and legs. The nose turned out surprisingly well. Usually when I embroider something, it looks ridiculous or downright scary.
Sunday, October 26, 2014
I made these cat toys for my local animal shelter. I needed to get rid of a lot of yarn that I have no idea why I bought, and I had a lot of scrap yarn as well. I think they turned out great (once I remembered how to crochet, it's been a while)! These balls are great for using up scrap yarn. I had a lot of little bits and pieces which I joined together with square knots to make the multicolored toys!
For these toys I recommend using an H hook with heavier worsted-weight yarn like Red Heart Super Saver or Craftsmart Value, as opposed to Caron Simply Soft. I have found that the Red Heart and Craftsmart yarns make nice, stiff toys, while the Caron makes squishy toys and the slightly thinner quality has a tendency of showing the stuffing through unless you use a smaller hook. Another great idea is adding a little dried catnip when stuffing.
sc: single crochet
sc2tog: single crochet invisible decrease
R1: 5sc in a magic ring
R2: 2sc in each st around
R3: [1sc in next 2 st, 2sc in next st, 1sc in next st, 2sc in next st] around
R4: 1sc in next 4 st, 2sc in next st, 1sc in next 4 st, 2sc in next st, 1sc in next 4 st
R5: 1sc in each st around
R6: 1sc in next 4st, sc2tog, 1sc in next 4st, sc2tog, 1sc in next 4st
R7: [1sc in next 2 st, sc2tog, 1sc in next st, sc2tog] around, stuff
R8: sc2tog around
R9: weave hole closed and secure end