Saturday, August 29, 2015
I had a variety of partial skeins to use for this, but in the end I decided I wanted to make it Ingress themed, so I went with a bunch of greens, blues, and whites. Luckily I only chose to make a few color bands, because sewing in all the ends was really frustrating as it was. I later started one where I had a color change every row... let's just say I abandoned that one right quick. The border is just single crochet, and the entire blanket is about 29 inches square.
Be inspired by other projects made with this pattern on Ravelry:
Here's a pic before adding the border with bonus cat paw.
Wednesday, August 5, 2015
I started out with a Caron One Pound test, to see whether I could soften up the hats by washing (since I know that the cheaper yarns aren't exactly soft enough for sensitive baby heads right off the skein). Luckily after a wash and two dry cycles, it came out incredibly soft and plush. I went ahead and made some more hats from Craftsmart and Red Heart Super Saver to test as well. The Red Heart got softer, but the Craftsmart didn't. A few of the hats are miscellaneous yarns I got on the clearance rack at Michaels that were incredibly soft and plush.
Overall I made something like 28 hats! Phew!
Here are the patterns I used, mostly preemie and newborn but I also made a few of the larger ones.
Add this project on Ravelry, or get inspiration from over 100 projects made with this pattern:
R1: Chain 15.
R2: sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in each of next 2 ch, 2dc in each of next 3 ch, 2tc in each of next 2ch, 2dc in each of next 3 ch, hdc in each of next 2 ch, slst in last chain. ch1, turn
R3: sl st in each of first 5 st, sc in each of next 5 st, hdc in each of next 2st, sc in each of next 5 st, slst in last 5 st.
Finish off and weave in ends.
The scarf pattern was super simple, just chain 201 and sc across, repeating for the number of rows desired. The finished scarf measures 62"by 4.25".
I made up my own pattern for the moon applique, found here!
Saturday, January 10, 2015
I made this afghan for my friend's wedding. She got married back in July, but it took me a few months to pick a pattern and the yarn I wanted. I finally got some nice yarn on Black Friday, so I started soon after that. I finally finished! It was a simple pattern, and was relatively quick compared to my previous blanket.
The pattern I picked was the Easy Ripple Pattern by SusanB. I used 9 total skeins of Red Heart With Love yarn; 3 skeins each of White, Peacock, and Bluebell. In the end, the blanket measured 56" by 64", and used every last bit of the white, slightly less than 3 skeins each of the blues. I was really worried about running out of white to make the last few rows, and at first wanted to make a border, but since I had just enough white, I decided it looked good enough without a border.
The color pattern I decided to use was 4 rows per light blue block and 8 rows each for the dark blue and white blocks. I wanted to make the blanket simple and not too busy by alternating colors more often. The plus side is that there were fewer threads to weave in at the end!
This picture doesn't capture the colors quite right, but the picture above is more true-to-color.
Right from the beginning I loved how the blanket looked and felt, and I hope my friend enjoys it as much as I do!