Intro

Welcome to my blog! This is where I'll be keeping track of all my crochet projects! Find me on Ravelry!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Piano Key Scarf

I've wanted to make the Piano Key Scarf by Rachel Choi since I first started crocheting, but I never thought I was good enough. Finally after doing so much crocheting lately, I took a look at it again, and decided I was ready. This scarf was a present for my best friend because she loves to play piano!

Each key took a long time to do because of all the color changes, but after a few rows I didn't need to look at the pattern anymore to figure out what to do next; it was easy to figure out which row I needed to work and when. Sometimes I'd find myself pausing for a moment and thinking "what am I doing?" and then I'd realize I was already doing the correct keys, without even noticing!

I made a few changes based on azabuey's 88 keys pattern, namely adding some rows to the beginning and end, and 12 stitches for the black keys and 8 stitches for the white keys instead of 10 each.
Note: all additions are using front loop only and referenced rows are those in the original pattern.
After row 2:
2a: work row 3
2b: work row 4
2c: work row 9
2d: work row 10
Continue with row 3, following instructions for 7 repeats of 3 and 2 key sets, then continue as follows (after row 7 as the original pattern suggests):
Continue with rows 8 through 10
Work rows 3 through 7
Finish off.

I chose a reverse single crochet stitch for the border, to give it a bit of interesting texture but not distract from the overall pattern. It was my first time attempting this stitch, and I think it came out well! I really like how swirly it looks, and since it doesn't make a flat border, tiny fluctuations in the edges aren't as noticeable.

I used an H hook and Caron Simply Soft White and Black yarns. I used about 3 ounces of White and 2 ounces of Black, which equals about 105 yards of Black and 160 yards of White. The finished product was 52 inches long and 5 inches wide.

Here's a picture of some of her crocheted Zelda collection! The 3DS case is missing though.

Add this project on Ravelry:

No comments:

Post a Comment